Not sure how the new COPPA rules on YouTube affect your channel and how to change settings that your channel doesn't get penalized? In this video you learn how to change the Made for Kids settings on YouTube and everything about COPPA and YouTube.
About COPPA The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (in short COPPA) is a US law from 2000 that is set to protect the personal information of children under 13 years old. However, only in 2019, the agreement between YouTube and the US Federal Trade was reached as a result of which some important changes were made to YouTube policies.
YouTube COPPA Changes
When you change YouTube's 'Made for kids' setting to YES the following 3 things change:
1) No personalized advertisements get displayed before, during or after your video. This will get potentially get you lower revenues.
2) Commenting on your video is no longer possible.
3) The cards and end screens features are not available for this video. This means you cannot link to external sites.
What happens to your channel if you change settings to “Made for kids”
1) No stories
2) No community tab
3) No notifications
4) No channel membership
If you don't change your settings, YouTube will set them with algorithms. Basically, it will be guessing whether your videos are made for children or not. If they guess incorrectly, there will be no monetization and no comments for your channel. Therefore, it’s important to set setting correctly so that your videos don't get penalized.
What does Made for Kids mean? Made for kids - videos where the main audience are children of the age of under 13 or videos that also target this group. To be more precise “made for kids” counts if you:
1) make videos where the subject directly targets children (tutorials for preschooler e.g.),
2) make videos which include children as actors,
3) your videos include toys or cartoon animated figures that generally appeal to children,
4) language of the video is specially made for kids,
5) video includes activities that are especially targeted toward children like early education songs or games for children.
How to set your video's audience As a YouTube creator, you are required to set future and existing videos as made for kids or not. If you choose not to select a channel setting, you’ll be required to identify each video on your channel that’s made for kids. If you choose this option, you’ll need to set each existing and future video as made for kids or not.
To set the audience on a video level you need to follow 6 steps:
1. Sign in to studio.youtube.com.
2. On the left menu, click Settings.
3. Click Channel.
4. Click the Advanced Settings tab.
5. Under Audience, select:
a) “Yes, set this channel as made for kids. I always upload content that’s made for kids.”
b) “No, set this channel as not made for kids. I never upload content that’s made for kids.”
c) “I want to review this setting for every video.”
6. Click Save.
▬ About tubics ▬
#tubics is a Video Marketing software that helps businesses and YouTube creators to rank their videos better on search engines like YouTube and Google. This works in a similar way to search engine optimization (SEO) for websites, but just for YouTube videos. Users receive concrete suggestions for optimizing their videos and can implement them directly in the software. Why tubics? Companies and creators invest a lot of money and time in their YouTube channels. Yet many are struggling with low video views. Better video metadata helps to make the video easier to find and thus reach more viewers.